ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Craigslist: Job offer seemed legit but turned sour
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:15 am 

I was looking for a part time accounting job on craigslist and found an ad that looked to be legitimate:

Part-Time Accounting Assistant

A Public Accounting Firm is seeking a detail-oriented Accounting Assistant to work an average of 15 hours a week (flexible). No experience is necessary, but the willingness to learn Accounting is expected. Some basic accounting knowledge is preferred and a working knowledge of Peachtree or QuickBooks is a plus.

This is a good entry-level opportunity for a college student to broaden their knowledge in the field of accounting.

Ideal Candidate:
Great time management skills
Self-Starter
Organized
Desire to learn more about accounting
Positive attitude

Job functions:
Handle Accounts Payable and Payroll functions
Reconcile monthly bank statements
Run Ad-hoc Reports
Handle Monthly, Quarterly, and Annual Reports
Help prepare Individual Income Taxes

So I replied and got a response about the terms and conditions of the job which also seemed pretty normal. However, a red flag went off when there was no contact number, company name or address anywhere in the reply. I said I understood the terms and conditions and I looked forward to hearing from them. I finally realized something was wrong when I got the second reply. There were several grammatical mistakes, still no mention of any contact information, the details about the job were different, and it was asking me to purchase several items without any indication of having receied the job. I sent an email asking for contact information but have not received a reply. I did a search on the name that was given ("Abideen Scott" <abcompany0000@googlemail.com>), and that is how I found this website. Here is a copy of the response that I got.

For you to get started,i want to use this medium to assure you that as soon as you get started,you are going to be happy you have the job.
you have to purchase "versa check pro package either the silver or the gold version" from any office supply store nearest to you..
Note that there is reimbursement for any materials purchased.
you can go ahead and purchase either the silver or the gold version of the software,just make sure whatever materials you are purchasing,you purhcase what is right which is below;
*Magnetic Ink{for check printing}
*Blank business checks
*Versa check software
*Printer{to get the checks printed off the software}
As soon as that is done,you get back with me immediaetely while i inturn instruct you to download the software which comes in the package and you immediately commence the 2weeks trial/training/interview period.
Thanks

Should I be worried that this person has my home address, e-mail address, and phone number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 am 

(The following was a second post by "CollegePerson" and has been moved to this topic)

UPDATE:

Yeah it is definitely a scam. "Abideen Scott" with "abcompany" actually got back to me and here is what he/she said:

Thanks for the mail...Well, We are located in London and we can only be
reached through sending emails to eachother for now until we finish building our website..your reimbursement fee will be sent to you through western union immediately you have started working for us...Get back to me and let me know if you are still interested..Thanks

The original job advertisement was located under finance jobs in San Diego.

Last edited by ximora on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:33 am 

You did the right thing by doing that search! From what I just read above, it looks like they were getting ready to make you the "check writer" which could have had serious legal ramifications for you! 99% of the time these people are from another country so you should be OK. The second email has a statement "if you're still interested", reply with an email telling them that you were just offered a position locally where you live and you're sorry for the inconvience but you have decided to take that one instead. If by any chance they persist to call you, you may have to change your phone number. In either case you can at least rest assured that you didn't fall victim to these people! Also make sure to tell your friends and classmates and/or also post a notice on the bulletin board about this scam and ask them tell their friends so that the word gets around to help save others who may come across this same ad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:25 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I know that a lot of college aged people have myspace or facebook pages . . . it might be a good idea if you post all of this information on there too so you can warn others. If you want to mention our site that would be great also.

I have been thinking about trying to raise awareness by doing something with different colleges . . . would you be at all interested in helping me start something up at yours? PM if you would and let me know where you are going to school.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject: Re: Craigslist: Job offer seemed legit but turned sour
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:04 am 

What is the different between finance and accounting? What is really different between finance and accounting?

Finance: is money management, including investment.

Accounting: make records for the profit and liability.