ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mystery Shopper wal mart/money gram scam
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:17 am 

Hello all,

I too have been marked for stupidity with the Wal Mart/Money Gram scam. I am copying the information here. I am blessed because I didn't trust getting a check in the mail for $3000.00 from someone I didn't know.

The check I received came from a company called Service Supply of Victoria, Inc. at 101 W.Mockingbird Lane in Victoria, TX

MYSTERY EVALUATION INCORPORATION
STACEY HILL
323 collins aven,St louis ,MO 63114

EVALUATION INSTRUCTIONS

Dear Survey Agent,

You will be evaluating one Wal-mart store and one Money Gram outlets in your City. Please Cash this Cheque at your Bank, then you can go ahead with the Evaluations. The Payment you have just received covers all expenditures including evaluation, shopping, transport and your compensation (Salary=$200.00) for this survey.

You are to purchase Goods of your Choice for your own Use at any Wal-mart store in your City which you are evaluating , spending not more than $100.00 dollars altogether, you will also be using $50.00 for transportations .

Also as regards Money gram, we will be using our company feed-back mechanism therefore you will be sending funds through Money Gram outlets in your City, back to Us.
As we are evaluating transactions above the $3000.00 mark, you will take $3150.00 to the money gram Outlet you will evaluate, you will have to pay the money gram transfer charges $85 out from the $3150.00, the final amount you will send will be $3065.00 Please send all transactions to the details below.

NAME: STACEY HILL

(Logistics and Feedback)

Address: 323 collins aven,
CITY; St louis
STATE: MO
ZIPCODE: 63114

After your Evaluation, ensure that you send to us (via Email) the reference codes (8 Digit #) given at the Money Gram after your transaction and the Wal-mart receipt #.

EXPENDITURES BREAKDOWN:-
Salary .................$200
Wal-mart................$100
Transportation ……$50
Money Gram Transaction .............$3,065
Money Gram Transfer costs..........$85

Please remember what we are really after are the lines of question stated below, those are guidelines that you will lookout for during your visits to Wal-Mart and Money Gram.

GUIDELINES:-
-How long it took you to get services.
-Ambiance/Outlook of the Shop/Outlet
-Smartness of the attendant
-Customer service professionalism
-Reaction of personally under pressure
-Information that you think would be helpful
-Your comments and impressions.
-Your personal opinion

We are Counting on you, and expect a detailed report.

Thank you.
--
The Mystery Evaluation Team.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:06 pm 

I have also seen an add on craigislist the other day about Mysetery Shoppers needed, so in need of money to feed my children I decided to inquire. I received a reply back with this info the next day:

Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: MYSTERY SHOPPER IS NEEDED (charlotte)

Hello

We are a company that conduct surveys and evaluate other companies. We get hired to go to other peoples companies and act like customers in order to know how the staffs are handling their services in relation to their customers. once we have a contract to do, so you would be directed to the company or outlet, and you would be given the funds you need to do the job(either purchase things or require services), after which you would write a comment on the staffs activities and give a detailed record of your experience.

examples of details you would forward to us are
1) How long it took you to get services.
2) Smartness of the attendant
3)Customer service professionalism
4)Sometimes you might be required to upset the attendant, to see how they react to clients when they get tensed(under pressure).

And we turn the information over to the company executives and they would carry out their own duties in improving there services.

Most companies employ our assistance when people give complaints about their services, or when they feel there are needs for them to improve their customer service. Your Identity would be kept confidential as the job states (secret shopper) you would be paid $100 for every survey you carry out, and bonus on your transportation allowance, and funds would be given to you if you have to dine as part of the duty.
Your job will be to evaluate and comment on customer service in a wide variety of shops, stores, restaurant and services in your area. No commitment is made on this job, and you would have flexible hours as it suits you. If you are interested , you have to fill the list below so we can look at your distance from the locations which you have to put your service into, and your address would also be needed for your payments.
Before you fill the list below make sure you read the INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AGREEMENT attached to this mail before you will fill the application .

First Name :

Middle Name :
Last Name :
Phone 1 :

Phone 2 :
Address 1 :
Address 2 :
City :
State :
Country
Zip Code :
Birth date :
Mon / day / year
--
The Mystery Evaluation Team .

So I did send my info back to them and this is the reply that I got back:

To: anita.rivera
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:08 AM
Subject: Re: MYSTERY SHOPPER IS NEEDED (charlotte)

Hello,
You have been Accepted as one of our Mystery shopper/Survey Agent.
You will be evaluating Wal-Mart Stores and Money Gram Services in your
neighborhood, kindly check out for one Wal-Mart store and one money
gram agent outlet you will like to evaluate , make sure the store and
the outlet you will chose are close to your area as much as possible ,
you will have to send the name and address of the two location to
us,Please note that you are to act Cool,Calm and Confident through out
the period which you will be carrying out your survey at the store, in
order not to arouse any suspicion. you will be shopping at Wal-Mart
stores and also make a transaction at the MoneyGram , you will write a
report about the customer services , you will send your report back to
us via Email , you will have to use the following pointers to prepare
your report : 1) How long it took you to get services.
2)Ambiance/Outlook of the Shop/Outlet
3) Smartness of the attendant
4)Customer service professionalism
5)Reaction of personnel under pressure
6)Information that you think would be helpful
7)Your comments and impressions.
Payments will be mailed out to you,which you will expend in carrying
out all that will be required of you including your compensation and
Transportation fee.
All Other Instructions will be sent out to you as soon as Evaluation commences.
Please reply this Email and give us the name and address of the
Wal-mart and MoneyGram location you will be evaluating .Thank you.
The Hiring Manager
Mr Seth .
Mystery Survey Inc
323 Collins Avenue
PO BOX 120921
St Louis , MO 63114
--
The Mystery Evaluation Team

So, I wondered how the hell someone will just send you the money first if this is ligit, not only that but I have been a Mystery Shopper before luckily, for a Legit Company and I know that it can be very tedious and there is alot of specific information and forms that you have to follow, none of which this company asked for. They just ask for simple things to evaluate and no structure or outline form. That is when I figured that there was something wrong with this. Also, the person's name Mr Seth, was not the same as the email address which was from addicev@yahoo.com, most ligit companies have an email address matching their actual name and not some one else's and they also have a professional email address and not one that can be created for free by anyone such as yahoo. I am SOOOOOO glad that I had previous experience in Mystery Shopping so that I knew what to look out for already. With my suspicions, I decided to look this up, you can look up anything that is a HOAX but going to http://www.google.com type in the description of the subject in questions in which I typed "Mystery Shopper needed Walmart and Money gram" then type the word Hoax after that. Sure enough I found this to be a scam! I really hope that my information in this email helps innocent people out there looking to make some well earned money to become aware of what to look out for instead of falling for this BS and getting scammed, this is really ashame and no one deserves to be ripped off for someone elses fradulent intentions. Good Luck and protect yourself, always do research first!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:42 pm 

Hello,
I have almost been fooled by this scam too, I found a posting on craigslist. Fortunately I was suspicious after the first e-mail from this person, I still sent the info requested, however when I received the second e-mail I was very concerned and haven't sent any more. I have a gotten a third e-mail from this person saying that a check is on the way via DHL.

I would like advice on what I should do now, if anything needs to be done, I mainly want to know what to do with the "check". Here are all the e-mails sent to me from this person.

Hello,
We are a company that conduct surveys and evaluate other companies.We get hired to go to other peoples companies and act like customers in order to know how the staffs are handling their services in relation to their customers.Once we have a contract to do,so you would be directed to the company or outlet,and you would be given the funds you need to do the job (either purchase things or require services),after which you would write a comment on the staffs activities and give a detailed record of your experience.Examples of details you would forward to us are

1)How long it took you to get services.

2)Smartness of the attendant

3)Customer service professionalism

4)Sometimes you might be required to upset the attendant,to see how they react to clients when they get tensed(under pressure).

And we turn the information over to the company executives and they would carry out their own duties in improving there services.Most companies employ our assistance when people give complaints about their services,or when they feel there are needs for them to improve their customer service.Your Identity would be kept confidential as the job states (secret shopper).You would be paid $150 for every survey you carry out,and bonus on your transportation allowance,and funds would be given to you if you have to dine as part of the duty.Your job will be to evaluate and comment on customer service in a wide variety of shops,stores,restaurant and services in your area.No commitment is made on this job, and you would have flexible hours as it suits you.If you are interested do send in your:
(I)Your Full Name:
(II)Your Residence address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
(III)Present work address:
(IV)Home and mobile Phone numbers:
(V)Email address:
(VI)Your Age and Current Occupation:
(VII)Your Gender:

So we can look at your distance from the locations which you have to put your service into,and your address would also be needed for your payments.We also implore you to send a scanned copy of any form of Identification for the processing of your application form.
Thanks.
James Williams.
Hiring Manager
James Survey/Evaluation Consultant.

Hello,
You have been accepted as our Mystery shopper/Survey Agent/Evaluators.You will be evaluating MONEYGRAM SERVICES and WAL-MART STORES in your Neighborhood…Please remember that you are to act Cool, Calm and Confident through out the period in which you will be carrying out the survey inorder not to arouse any suspicion.We will furnish you with transfer details which you will send Funds to via Money Gram.Also you will be shopping at Wal-Mart stores close by.After which you will write a report and send back to us via Email using the following pointers:

1) How long it took you to get services

2) Ambience/Outlook of the Shop/Outlet

4) Customer service professionalism

5) Reaction of personnel under pressure

6) Information that you think would be helpful

7) Your comments and impressions.

Payments will be mailed out to you whom you will cash and expend in carrying out all that will be required of you including your compensation.All Other Instructions will be sent out to you as soon as Evaluation commences.Kindly mail us back with Locations of Money Grams outlets and Wal-Mart Stores Near you for our own review and we later mail you back if they are the stores you going to evaluate.Please reply this Email and ask questions on Instructions not Understood.
Thank you.
James Williams
Hiring Manager

Dear Survey Agent,
after accepting your application as one of our mystery shopper,check worth of $2550 has been isssued on your name and sent to your address.You're going to receive the check via DHL courier service tomorrow morning at about 10:00 AM - 10:3O AM your time.Kindly go ahead and get the check cashed at your bank.

*You're to deduct $150 for your own pay.

*$100 which you're going to use for shopping at any wal-mart store near you & anything you buy is yours.

*$50 for gas for your running around.

You're going to wire the remaning money back to one of our Evaluator in st louis,MO via money gram.Below you'll find the info which you're going to use to wire the remaining money.

Stacy Hill
313 Collins Ave
St Louis,
MO 63114

Kindly get back to me with the transfer details such as sender's info,amount sent & money reference # on the receipt.Please remember that you are to act Cool,Calm and Confident through out the period in which you will be carrying out the survey in order not to arouse any suspicious.You're also going to write your report and send back to us via Email using the
following pointers:

1) How long it took you to get services.

2) Ambience/Outlook of the Shop/Outlet

4) Customer service professionalism

5) Reaction of personnel under pressure

6) Information that you think would be helpful

7) Your comments and impressions.

I await your timely response as soon as you get everything done today so that we can turn the information over to the company's executives and they will carry out their own duties in improving their services.
Thank You
James Williams.
Hiring Manager.
Fax (866) 405-5255
Tel (856) 632-7521

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm 

Hello,

I have no clue what you should do next except for maybe notify your local police department when you receive the check or refuse the delivery perhaps. They sent me a 3rd email stating that they need me to confirm asap so that they can send the check. I never replied so I dont think a check is on the way for me. Let me know how you made out! Good Luck!!

Anita

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:21 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

I would block their email address, and if the check ever does arrive you can either take it to the police (who may or may not do anything with it) or destroy it.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm 

Hello all, I want to say that I too was almost a victim of the WalMart/moneygram scam. after the 2nd or 3rd e-mail from survey.evaluationhiringmanager@gmail.com I knew it was a scam. this morning I received the following e-mail informing me of the check they were sending to me and to follow directions as how to spend it. I'm not sure if I will go to the local police or not, but I did contact the Bank the check was written on and confirmed that indeed it is a scam. The man who has been sending me e-mails is James Reben and he said he was waiting for a contract from Applause Evaluation, Inc. (not a ligit company of course). I want to thank everyone for all the information on the scams, otherwise I may have been just gullable enough to fall for it.

Dear Survey Agent,

Your package for evaluation as been sent out on this morning through DHL , it as been scheduled to be deliver to you this Morning by 10:30am , here is the Tracking # (28709410450) , make sure you keep track of the package till they deliver it to you .

You have to start your evaluation process immediately you receive the package, in the package you will find the payment of $2,250 ,

You will use the fund to carry out your evaluation at Money Gram and the Wal-Mart store including, you will find the brake down of the fund in your evaluation Instruction.

The evaluation Instruction as been attached to this email, make sure you read and understand all the instructions given to you in the evaluation instruction letter before you go out to evaluate the stores you choose .

You have to evaluate the two store withing 24 hours after you have received the package from Dhl.

Your confirmation will be needed via email after you received package .

Thanks .
Mr James
Hiring Manager

also, here is the attachment that came with this e-mail :

MYSTERY EVALUATION INCORPORATION
323 Collins Avenue
PO BOX 120921
St John, MO  63114

EVALUATION INSTRUCTIONS

Dear Survey Agent,

You will be evaluating one Wal-mart store and one Money Gram outlets in your City. Please Cash this MO at your Bank, then you can go ahead with the Evaluations. The Payment you have just received covers all expenditures including evaluation, shopping, transport and your compensation (Salary=$200.00) for this survey.

You are to purchase Goods of your Choice for your own Use at any Wal-mart store in your City which you are evaluating , spending not more than a $100.00 dollars altogether, you will also be using $50.00 for transportations .

Also as regards Money gram, we will be using our company feed-back mechanism therefore you will be sending funds through Money Gram outlets in your City, back to Us.
As we are evaluating transactions above the $3000.00 mark, you will take $1,900.00 to the money gram Outlet you will evaluate, you will have to pay the money gram transfer charges $95 out from the $1,900.00, the final amount you will send will be $1,805.00 Please send all transactions to the details below.

NAME: STACEY HILLS
(Logistics and Feedback)
CITY: ST JOHN
STATE: MO
ZIP CODE: 63114

After your Evaluation, ensure that you send to us (via Email) the reference codes (8 Digit #) given at the Money Gram after your transaction and the Wal-mart receipt #.

EXPENDITURES BREAKDOWN:-
Salary .................$200
Wal-mart................$100
Transportation ……$50
Money Gram Transaction .............$1,900
Money Gram Transfer costs..........$95

Please remember what we are really after are the lines of question stated below, those are guidelines that you will lookout for during your visits to Wal-Mart and Money Gram.

GUIDELINES:-
-How long it took you to get services.
-Ambiance/Outlook of the Shop/Outlet
-Smartness of the attendant
-Customer service professionalism
-Reaction of personally under pressure
-Information that you think would be helpful
-Your comments and impressions.
-Your personal opinion

We are Counting on you, and expect a detailed report.

Thank you.
--
The Mystery Evaluation Team.

By the way, this all started from craigs list.......... way to much fraud/scams there........

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:57 am 

i just wanted to say that im glad this website is here

i responded to them and after the 2nd email, i smelled a rat. so i searched the company name on google and found this website

ive emailed craigslist and also saw a job ad on eurojobs.com for the same company, so i promptly emailed them and let them know. they have already removed the listing and the account.

also i'd like to reply to the last person who posted, you can't blame craig's list for this....there are scumbags everywhere.

Thanks for being here everybody
~Peace~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:21 pm 

I really wish I had found this site earlier... I was an idiot and fell for it. I have had no previous experience with mystery shopping, and I gave them both my address and cell number... I haven't replied since I learned it was a scam, but I was just wondering if I should be worried about them stealing my information or somehow obtaining more from the knowledge of my address and number? Can anyone help me with this?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Don't beat yourself up about it . . . the scammers are good at what they do and that is why so many people will believe that it could be true.

If they only have your name and phone number there is not much that they can do to you. I would not worry. Just be glad that you didn't give them your bank account information.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:19 pm 

i just wanted to add that i was wrong and you can blame craig's list

they still havent removed the job listing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:33 pm 

Ok, I go the check today for 2520 dollars.
So the deal is they want to get your bank info? There should be someone we can contact about this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:13 am 

yes there is something you can do........do NOT cash the check they sent you!!!!!! I actually took my check and copies of all the e-mail I have received in to my local police dept. I don't know if they can do anything or not, but at least I did not cash a fraudulent check that I would have had to pay back to the bank. I am glad this website is here, we may not be able to warn everyone but if we can help at least 1 or 2 (hopefully a LOT more than that) people that is a good thing. good luck to you

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:49 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

baldwindeb wrote:
So the deal is they want to get your bank info?

No . . . they don't want your bank info . . . they want you to deposit and cash the check . . . it will "appear" like it has cleared and you will feel safe about the check and THEN they will ask you to wire a portion of that money back to them . . . since the check looked like it cleared, most people will go forward with the transaction. Some time after that the bank will find out that the check was fake, so they will take the amount of the check back out of your account, and that is how victims end up out thousands of dollars.

catwmn88 wrote:
I am glad this website is here, we may not be able to warn everyone but if we can help at least 1 or 2 (hopefully a LOT more than that) people that is a good thing.

That was my intention when I started this website . . . to help just one other person so that they would not have to go through what I went through . . . now, almost 6 years later I cannot even count the number of people we have helped.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:27 pm 

So the check is a fake.
The man threatened me today, said for me to do it or the police will come get me.
I told him to let them come so I can show them and they will find where he is at through his isp.
His name is Michael Tornbene
on the envelope it is from Houston Texas, but the check addy is New York.I am suppose to send 2000 to a lady in California.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:50 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

you did the right thing . . . do not send any of the money and cut off contact with the person . . . block either email address if you have to

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next