ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: This scam is still around!. Yesuummm!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:13 pm 

Mine is just like this.
anon-frank wrote:

Here's the text of the letter, including their spelling and grammatical errors:

(letterhead)Deltec Financial & Trust Services
Deltec House, Lyford Cay, P.O. Box N-3229 Nassau, Bahamas
Sponsor: Readers Digest, Publishers Clearing House, Sweepstakes, Lotto
(letterhead ends)

Name
Address

Your ref :X9999
Date

SUBJECT: AWARD CLAIM FINAL NOTIFICATION

Some people have good things happen to them by luck or by chance. But the reason for your good fortune is clear you have been an exceptional lucky sweepstake winner. That is why we are delighted to inform you through this letter that our network system shows you as the lucky winner of unclaimed prize money in the amount of $62,980 USD (Sixty Two Thousand Nine Hundred Eighty Dollars). The system indicated that you won the prize on December 14th, 2006 sweepstakes third category draw.

All participants were selected through a comperize ballot system drawn from reader's digest, publisher's clearing house, mailing addresses, computer games, and sweepstakes with data base from Australia, new Zealand, Europe, North and South America, South Africa, and Asia as part of our International Promotions Program (IPP), which is conducted annually. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It is also part of our job to bring to your notice, the existence of an international law guiding the fair personal collection of cash prizes. This Internatinal law ensures that a winner pays a processing fee before the funds are released. The same Law prevents you from paying with your personal money but from your winning money; the first installment of $2980 USD should be used for the payment of the processing fee. Be advised that your Reference Number must be kept confidential until your claim is completed. This is to avoid double claiming which might disqualify you.

Your fundsa re now deposited with us and insured in your name. Please find enclosed a cashier's check in the amount of $2,980 USD cashable only by you. You shall be advised by your claims agent on how much to be withdrawn and sent to the processing office to finalize your claims. The balance of $60,000 will be sent to you via a courier company of choice after your payment is confirmed.

Please take advantage of this golden opportunity by contacting your claims agent(s) Mr. Pinson Berdu or Mrs. Victoria Stanton at 1-778-xxx-xxxx; Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-3pm EST, upon receipt of this notification.

Please note that all unclaimed prize money will be donated to a charity organization.

Once again congratulations from all our staff!

Yours truly,
Weston Pratt Snr.
Director Claims & Credit Control
---

I checked the area code and it is in Vancouver, BC. The address in the letterhead is real, and there is a Deltec, but it is actually Deltec Bank and Trust Limited, a legitimate bank in the Bahamas at the address quoted. These alone tipped me off that this was a fraud. The "sponsor list" is hopelessly vague after naming the big sweepstakes companies. "Sweepstakes"? "Lotto"? c'mon.

Thankfully, my wife says she never contacted the people named on the letter. Even so, she'll also need a new bank account just for safety's sake.

Its just like this but its from North Atlantic Payment House. searched all over the internet found nothing mine was in the amount of 50k USD and i got a check for 2900 i did not believe it at all but it just looked so real, so i called the lady her name was Glory Whiteman(Name is kinda bogus) from Canada 905 number so she says yes you have won congrats! im like great! she wasnt too enthusiastic about it but i was convinced so i go to the bank deposit the money but i still didnt believe it so i call her again and tell her I deposited the money she said well you have to wait till its clear cause it wasnt i do mine thru BofA im California. well i get home i still couldnt belive it cause on the phone she said after I asked what do i do after you recive the payment of 2800$ i asked is that fee cover the taxes "She said taht the IRS will contact you. and then you will get hte money thru UPS" well I went all over the internet and did some indepth search and found this GREAT forum, cause yesterday night i couldnt find anything searching for the actual bank. Well my question is IF the check clears am i fine to spend the money?(well not send it to her, i mean thats befor my morals kick in:P jk) and if the check clears do i contact the bank and go forth with them to investigate.

Would i get in trouble if i spent the money? And what if the check bounces on its clearing date cause its in the bank right now but its not clear for the full amount. would i be in trouble if the check had bounced? I really had no idea. do they shred it or do i get the cops called on me? do i tell them its a fraud and where i got it from if it does bounce? Sry for all the questions but i want to make sure im not in the bad in this situation or it just may be reeal??? nahh. Also when i called her about 3 times twice i talked to her and i didnt give her nothing but my name which they alrdy had. I would have given my Bank account info if they had asked, but gladly and thankfully they didnt ask so I didnt give anything.

THANKS SOO MUCH!

Also the adress if from 4097 presidental road, Hamilton, ON
I checked out Mapquest had no records of it so Idk

Post subject: Re: This scam is still around!. Yesuummm!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:25 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Migello wrote:
Well my question is IF the check clears am i fine to spend the money??

The check will not "clear" . . . the bank may tell you that the funds are available, but all that really means is that they have credited your account the amount of the check and if you spend the money they will hold YOU liable for it.

Quote:
and if the check clears do i contact the bank and go forth with them to investigate.

again, the check will not clear

Quote:
Would i get in trouble if i spent the money?

YES!!!!!!! The bank would hold you liable for the entire amount of the check.

Quote:
do they shred it or do i get the cops called on me?

It really depends on the bank, and if you have spent any of the money. If you have NOT spent the money, they will probably just take the money back out of your account and then destroy the check. If you HAVE spent the money then they may call in the cops.

Quote:
do i tell them its a fraud and where i got it from if it does bounce?

I would contact them NOW and let them know that you believe the check is counterfeit, that way they will know that you are not trying to scam THEM.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 pm 

Once again thanks soo much admin for being so quick to my PM, well i just called the bank. they looked at the check and said that its perfectlly fine and seems ok. and if it bounces it will just be taken out of my balance which is fine because i Wont touch that money. i knw you have answerd this numerous times but reading a few posts i saw that ppl actually cashed the check. so in that case of hte check clearing or being cashed and not bouncing if there is how would the company find out or at what time will they realize that the check was a counterfit or a fraud? if they ever do i was just curious anyway THanks! admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:33 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Migello wrote:
i just called the bank. they looked at the check and said that its perfectlly fine and seems ok. and if it bounces it will just be taken out of my balance which is fine because i Wont touch that money.

Right now, from YOUR banks side, the check looks fine . . . it is not until it gets back to the bank that it was supposed to be issued from that they will find out that it is counterfeit. That is why this scam works so well . . . people go to their bank who tells them that everything looks fine, so they feel safe to spend the money, but then when the issuing bank sees the check and finds it counterfeit is when the money is taken back out of the account, and that is when people realize that they are a scam victim.

Quote:
i saw that ppl actually cashed the check. so in that case of hte check clearing or being cashed and not bouncing if there is how would the company find out or at what time will they realize that the check was a counterfit or a fraud?

Yes, many people cash the check . . . yes, the checks "appear" to have cleared, but a week or so later once the check has gone through the entire clearing process is when they find out that it is counterfeit. I have NEVER heard of a story of one of these checks actually clearing.

There are many steps in the check clearing process, and it takes time for the check to go through the system. Give it time . . . it will come back as counterfeit. Just make sure that you do not spend any of the money from that check!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319

Post subject: Lotto Scam
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:56 am 

Hey everyone. I got a letter yesterday similar to the one's being described here in this thread. I was so excited! I thought it seemed legit, but something inside my head was nagging at me: "If something seems to good to be true, it probably is." So, I started searching online and finally came upon this site and thread. After reading it in its entirety, nearly 4 months worth of replies/posts, I realize now that this is a hoax. Thank you to all who have posted here. In my heart, I really wanted this thing to be real, to start my own buisness and put a down payment on some property......oh well. Glad I found all of this out before depositing the check. I'll post all relative information following this message in the hopes that it will help prevent someone else falling victim to this scam. Thanks again to all who have posted and contributed their expertise and time by raising awareness and fighting to stop these scammers.

Letter Info:
- sent in an unmarked envelope from Canada
- Leter Head: Standard Media Lotto Commision (note the misspelling) Inc
1835 Kongens Gade Suite 600
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands 00802-6745
- Sponsors: Publishers Clearing House, Readers Digest and Online Games
- International Promotions Program - 2006 sweepstakes draw winner
- North American Claim Agent Emily Lewis @1-902-412-9203
- Signed Margaret Adams (my initials are a.m. and the name is similar to my own)
- The deal: CONGRATULATIONS! I have "won" $56,700, enclosed is a check for 2,970; must be deposited into [my] bank account immediately to pay for [my] registration with the states lottery and gaming commission agency, which must be paid before [they] can release [my] balance in the amount of $49,761 excluding 7%handling charges in the amount of $3969 deducted from [my] total winnings.

Check info:
- The Valdez Corporation (Valdez Spice, which is a legit buisness - weird)
1808 Monetary Lane, Ste 110, Carrolton, TX 75006
- Town North National Bank
Farmer's Branch, TX
- Check amt: $2970.00
- 026580:111904503:007 207 4

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's any additional info I can provide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:33 pm 

I recieved a letter last week aswell along with a check in the amount of $3,850. My letter was signed by Sharon Obrien but the signature itself looked like it said shalan o brien..and my "claims agent" was Emily Lewis. The letter head was from Imperial Center Lotto Commision Inc. I called the woman 3 days after i got the letter and let her babble about the instructions.... And then went to my bank, i did not deposit it though. I had my bank run a check on the checks routing # and what do ya know there was no such routing number in Tampa Florida where the check was from a Robbins Financial Inc. Any way i called the woman back and a male answered this time and called himself "dave johnson" Emily's assistant and she wasnt it. I have since then called 5 more times and have gotten no answer. Anyway I am going to continue trying and have my family members try until we get some answers. I reported this to the BBB and called the Attorney General! These people need to be stopped!

Post subject: Recieved Letter From Financial Capital Trust Services-(fraud
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:31 am 

The letter head is:

Financial Capital Trust Services
Lyford Cay P.O. Box N-4868 Nassau, Bahamas
Sponsor: Reader Digest, Publishers Clearing House, Sweepstakes, LOTTO

SUBJECT: AWARD CLAIM FINAL NOTIFICATION

Some people have good things happen to them by luck or by chance. But the reason for your good fortune is clear you have been an exceptional lucky sweepstake winner. That is why we are delighted to inform you through this letter that our network system shows you as the lucky winner of unclaimed prize money in the ammount of $52, 985 USD (Fifty Two Thousand Nine Hundred Eighty Five Dollars). The system indicated that you won the prize on January 14th, 2007 sweepstakes third category draw.

All participants were selected through a computerized ballot system drawn from reader's digest, publisher's clearing house, mailing addresses, computer ames and sweepstakes with data base from Australia, New Zealand, Eurpoe, North and SOuth America, South Africa and Asia as part of oour International Promotions Program (IPP), which is conducted annually. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It is also part of our job to bring to your notice the existence of an international law guiding the fair personal collection of cash prizes. This International Law ensures that a winner pays a precessing fee before the funds are released. The same Law prevents you from paying with your personal money but from your winning money; the first installment of $2,985 USD should be used for the payment of the processing fee.
Be advised that your Reference Number must be kept Confidential until your claim is completed. This is to avoid double claiming, which might disqualify you.

Your funds are now deposited with us and insured in your name. Please find enclosed a cashier's check in the amount of $2985 USD cashable only by you. You shall be advised by your claims agent on how much to be withdrawn and sent to the processing office to finalize your claims. The balance of $50,000,00 will be sent to you via a courier company of choice after your payment is confirmed.

Please take advantage of this Golden opportunity by contacting your claims agent(s) Mr. Melvin Nguyen at 1-902-412-1365 Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-6pm EST, upon receipt of this notification.

Please note that all unclaimed prize money will be donated to a charity Organization.

Once again congratulations from all our staff!

Yours Truly,
Joe Georges
Director Claims & Credit Control

My finace' Gene received this letter and a check. A few things seems off right away. For instance why send a check for you to cash and pay a fee with. Usually they take fees right out of the winnings for you.

Also theres usually legal paperwork you need to sign before you see any money. Also Gene called the phone number and talk to a gentleman with a very heavy accent and all the guy said was, deposit the check , then call me back for details and hung up. He never gave gene time to ask questions and really wanted him to put that check in his account.

The check is written off as US Bank

Never heard of US Bank!!!

Also Goggled the phone number and came up with Halifax, NS.

What happened to Nassau , Bahamas?????

Will be making a call to the FBI, maybe they could give this number a call.

Thank you for sharing this information, we are finally getting back on our feet from me having cancer..finacially that was a big enough set back..we certainly didn't need this on top of it!!![/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:12 pm 

I recieved a letter today 2/20/07 from Germany Lottery Commission
same phone number reverse search= Halifax, NS Claim agent Brian Decker Prize director June Ulman. Check from H.T. Brown Real Estate, Inc. Columbia MD. Citizens Bank Check CRAZY!!!!![/b]

Post subject: global prossesing group potential scam?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:04 pm 

:x i almost thought i won then i found this site i was already to go to the bank and send them my money for there fake check. i almost fell for it. they want me to call them back tommorow with the moneygram confirmation number but i think i will call the police instead. :lol: [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:32 am 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Glad to hear that the information here was able to save you from becoming a victim!

Post subject: You Saved Us!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:47 pm 

I just wanted to say thank you. My wife received one of those letters with a check for $1995.00 with a letter explaining how she was selected from "a computer ballot system drawn from readers digest, publishers clearing house, computer games, sweepstakes data base......". We almost cashed the check but, we had a bad feeling. Came home and here I am checking online. Didn't know this scam was going around. Looks like it started in the East Coast and making it's way to the West Coast. I live in California. Just received the letter yesterday. I'm so glad we ended up not cashing the check and Thanks for trying to help so many people. And it looks like its all coming from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Thats in Canada right? I would assume that most of these scams are from there, if not only from there. Once again can't thank you guys enough for creating this site to help all potential victims. Thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:48 pm 

i am in canada and i recieved mine yesterday. at first i was overjoyed,then i got doughtful. so i googled the info in the letter and this is where i ended up. since then i called phone busters and gave them the info, then i called the issuing bank(who do not have a location at the address on the check) and i am forwarding them a copy to their fraud investigators. i dont know if it will help but maybe someone can catch them before they rip someone else off. i am also warning my friends and neighbors. if i did not have access to the internet i probably would be just another victem. i wonder how many people have gotten scamed like this with no way to find info or help :?:

Post subject: Lottery Scam- North American Utilities drawing
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:09 pm 

Looks like there is another version of this.

I reside in Northern VA. I received check # 38800 dtd 02/13/07 for $2,920 drawn on the Bank of North Georgia, Alpharetta, GA. The bank routing number is correct (261170290). Check is on the disbursement account of the Chemstar Corporation of Lithia Springs GA 30122. Chemstar appears legit from their website. Ph is 800-327-0777.

Acompaning ltr from Chemstar Corporations Ltd Lithonia GA. Address at bottom of letter is in Halifax, NS. Contact phone numbers are 902-412-8860 (corp) and 902-412-9284 (Mrs. Luna Howard or Mr. George Atkins). These numbers trace to unlisted land line at what appears to be a Fido Solutions Call Center in Canada.

My purported award is $46,500. The mechanism is the same as described in previous postings in this thread.

Thanks for the heads up.

JNP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:42 pm 

here is a number that might help 1-888-495-8501 it is for Phone Busters they are a part of the R.C.M.P.(royal canadian mounted police)
there website is
http://www.phonebusters.ca
they have been trying to get these scammers for about two years. they need all the help they can get.

i am not satisfied at this point these people need to be stopped.

even though i did not cash the check (thanks to this site) im still pissed that someone tried to take advantage me and i want them stopped. so what i have done is forwarded a copy of the check to the bank that was on it(the address was fake but the name was real) they are giving it to there fraud department.

i dont know how to put a copy of the check on this site if i could i would can anyone help me out with that???

thanks again...

january 14th 2007 in the third category

1 of 54 declared winners(from 450,000 people) of 2 million dollars

my "share" $49,553.11 US dollars

a check in the amount of $3,940.00 CDN dollars

all i have to do is send them $3,700 US dollars

to be paid by moneygram transfer to :Tonya Habert, 136 main st. Hamilton,Ontario K9H7K6

do not cash until speaking to Samantha davies claims agent
1-888-220-7098 ext. 251

she was not available voice mail gave 3 extra options
dave williams ext.252
greg stewart ext.253
mellissa johnson ext.254

greg stewart answered he told me to send the moneygram to Sasha Jhonson in london ontario(no address only name?)

i have until march 1st or it will be voided.

the address on the letterhead :87a Caribou rd
Cornerbrook.NL A3H 4X

the banks name on the check is Victory community credit union
there address 99 McMeeken dr
Kitchener waterloo
Ontario Canada N3C4G7
1-519-744-9408

THE COMPANIES ARE REAL THEY ARE VICTIMS ALSO.

[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:24 am 

To add on about the phone busters. They are a Canadian anti-fraud department of the R.C.M.P. They are aware of this and many other scams. If your letter is from Canada if the phone numbers are in Canada let the Canadian Authorities know. You can contact them by e-mail in their website or even on the phone toll free:

http://www.phonebusters.ca

1-888-495-8501

PLEASE KEEP POSTING HERE ALSO 8)
let me know if it helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next