ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:15 am 
tikkinate wrote:
I received this exact same letter from Global Processing Group. My check was in the amount of $2962.30 from a Chemetall Foote Corp in North Carolina but the phone number doesn't match it has (519) 751-5208 which is Ontario, Canada. After looking at the check really hard within the brown back ground I could see void all over the check but look like it was filled in to fade away in the back ground. I made a black and white copy of the check and turned the contrast down on a copy machine and all of the voids were very easy to see for everyone I showed the check and the copy to. With all of the conflicting information I figured it was a scam. I won a drawing in Dublin, Ireland for $50,000, letter post mark from Canada, letter head says from the 2960 Scott Street, PO Box 5440 St Thomas Virgin Island but the zip code matches San Juan, Puerto Rico (00906-1440), the phone number to call and speak to Andrea Cohen 902-412-3066 is Nova Scotia. When you think about it if I really won a drawing and need to pay taxes then the most logical thing would be to decrease the winnings for the amount of the taxes and send the rest.

When you copy certain checks the word VOID will appear, it is a security feature to prevent copying and use of the check, That is very common.

Post subject: Yes copying shows VOID
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:05 pm 

Yes TIKKINATE is absolutely right...once the check is copyed it shows VOID all over the copy. I have a different phone # as well as another "AGENT" to contact as well. My deadline is the 8th of Nov. The check is off of VALUEBANK in Texas, but payable through BB&T, Charleston WV. These people need to be stopped before some innocent person gets everything they have stolen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:04 pm 

I received a letter today, thursday november 2. from global processing group 2960 scott street. st. thomas, virgin islands. saying I won $50,000 I received a check in the amount of $2,962.30 and was to cover International clearance fees. I am one of 20 lucky winners. The number i am to call is 1-902-412-9155. Has anyone really cashed their check. I am also going to contact the Better Business Bureau. The check is a Bank One check. fro JP Morgan Chase Bank, out of Columbus Ohio. Is this is truly a SCAM. How do they get away with this. Or are we the DUMB people who fall for it. I could use $50,000. I am very curious to hear any outcomes. My envelope is also post marked Canada. But it is signed Larry Johnson, Prize Director.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:53 pm 

elizaj1369 wrote:
I received a letter today, thursday november 2. from global processing group 2960 scott street. st. thomas, virgin islands. saying I won $50,000 I received a check in the amount of $2,962.30 and was to cover International clearance fees. I am one of 20 lucky winners. The number i am to call is 1-902-412-9155. Has anyone really cashed their check. I am also going to contact the Better Business Bureau. The check is a Bank One check. fro JP Morgan Chase Bank, out of Columbus Ohio. Is this is truly a SCAM. How do they get away with this. Or are we the DUMB people who fall for it. I could use $50,000. I am very curious to hear any outcomes. My envelope is also post marked Canada. But it is signed Larry Johnson, Prize Director.

My aunt received a letter and check for $5,000 saying she won $250,000 I'm not exactly sure who it was from but it was postmark Canada I'll have to ask her to see her letter, well against my better judgment she deposited the check waited the 3 days it cleared she used some of it to pay bills, her husband wired $3000 of the money called their agent and was told he had to send another $1900 because that’s how much FedEx was going to charge to send the check to them by 12 noon the next day my uncle was trying to borrow the money to send to these people and about 5 days later the check came back now their account is in the negative for $5000. Her husband was the once doing all of the correspondence w/the agent and whenever my aunt would call they told her they couldn't speak to her they could only speak to her husband, but her name was on the letter and check not her husband that should have been a red flag to them but the greed of money have them in an even worse state than what they were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:49 am 
tikkinate wrote:
elizaj1369 wrote:

My aunt received a letter and check for $5,000 saying she won $250,000 I'm not exactly sure who it was from but it was postmark Canada I'll have to ask her to see her letter, well against my better judgment she deposited the check waited the 3 days it cleared she used some of it to pay bills, her husband wired $3000 of the money called their agent and was told he had to send another $1900 because that’s how much FedEx was going to charge to send the check to them by 12 noon the next day my uncle was trying to borrow the money to send to these people and about 5 days later the check came back now their account is in the negative for $5000. Her husband was the once doing all of the correspondence w/the agent and whenever my aunt would call they told her they couldn't speak to her they could only speak to her husband, but her name was on the letter and check not her husband that should have been a red flag to them but the greed of money have them in an even worse state than what they were.

You Aunt and Uncle now owe the bank 5000 dollars. The check will be returned soon, the bank will be contacting them.

Post subject: Global Processing Group w/ check scam
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:50 am 

Here's my story (and I'm usually not fooled by such mailings but I had to check it out): I received the mentioned letter from "Canada" with the letterhead from the "Virgin Islands" and the check from "North Carolina" last week. Today, I called Megan Green, my claim agent, using the 902 phone # and the recording said that the mailbox was too full to take any more messages. Then I called the # listed on the check for $2962.30 from Chemetall Foote Corp in NC and the recording said the "customer you're trying to reach is busy; please try again later." A co-worker told me to do an online search to see what comes up and this scam website was listed. After reading all of the postings, am I GLAD I didn't follow through with this! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Worse part is that I don't even know HOW or WHERE they got my home address from and I don't think I WANT to know! To the shredder my letter goes...and the check :cry:

Post subject: my grandma is also falling for this scam
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:35 am 

My grandmother also received a check for two thousand and some odd dollars, well she found out it was no good by calling the banks, but still followed up and called the company.
They told her to send them (i don't know exact amount) close to $3,000 by money gram to pay for fees for winning this international lottery and she did. They told her she would hear something in 24 hours. 24 hours came and they told her the lady that was handling it went into labor and was in the hospital so she had to go change name on money gram and it would take longer time. Then after that this Mr. Wallace that she keeps in contact with keeps asking her for more money...$9,000 then $19,000, then $89,000.
As of a few days ago he told her he was going to start a loan in her name in the amount of 89,000 to pay the 10% of the $889,000 she won. This is necessary to get the money out of the banks overseas.
Against everyone's advice and better judgement she just keeps believing and listening to this Mr. Wallace. By the way it does sound like the 2 men she has talked to have foreign accents.
My mom has talked to the police in our city but they told her she would have to contact police in London where she wired the original money gram. What a mess this has become. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:28 pm 
She sent the money out even after she knew the check was no good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:57 pm 

Yes, unfortunately she believed everything they told her. They are very convincing. She has stopped telling us what is going on because we keep telling her to stop because it is a fraud. My mom has even taken her to these web sites to have her read about everyone else's stories and still she thinks this man "Mr. Wallace" is telling her the truth instead. I guess the possibility of money sounds better than what we are telling her. We're just not sure what to do next, she's just not listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:37 pm 

Quote:
We're just not sure what to do next, she's just not listening.

It sounds to me like you've done all you can to convince her. In some cities they have avocates for the elderly who will step in and help them when a family member or neighbor is seeing these kind of things going on knowing they are being taken advantage of. They will step in and put a stop to it. See if you can find such a program in your area. You may find them thru the social services department or council on aging.

Post subject: The Global Processing Scam
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:17 am 

Quote:
I received a letter today, thursday november 2. from global processing group 2960 scott street. st. thomas, virgin islands. saying I won $50,000 I received a check in the amount of $2,962.30 and was to cover International clearance fees. I am one of 20 lucky winners. The number i am to call is 1-902-412-9155. Has anyone really cashed their check. I am also going to contact the Better Business Bureau. The check is a Bank One check. fro JP Morgan Chase Bank, out of Columbus Ohio. Is this is truly a SCAM. How do they get away with this. Or are we the DUMB people who fall for it. I could use $50,000. I am very curious to hear any outcomes. My envelope is also post marked Canada. But it is signed Larry Johnson, Prize Director

This is a scam that my brother and his wife just went through. Not only is it a scam, but it put my sister in law $2,962.30 in debt.

When you call the number you will talk to someone who will tell you that you really won and all that stuff. It's all a lie. The police are on the case right now.

The check is counterfeit, so please do not cash it. It's insufficient funds, which when you cash it, they will let you know AFTER these scammers have already got the money Western Unioned to them. Please, I wouldn't lie about this.

DONT CASH IT!!!!

Notify the police immediately and try to get these people caught!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:09 am 
Pulled a counterfeit $2962.30 check out of a customer's deposit yesterday, they had also sent him a counterfeit $975 check with it. I told him they were both counterfeit, he still inists they both will clear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:47 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

armac wrote:
Pulled a counterfeit $2962.30 check out of a customer's deposit yesterday, they had also sent him a counterfeit $975 check with it. I told him they were both counterfeit, he still inists they both will clear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sad.

I should make up some business cards and get them to you and then when you run into a customer like this you could give them one and tell them to check out the info here.

I have to ask . . . did he already send the money, or is he waiting for them to clear (which we both know they will not)

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:49 am 
admin wrote:
armac wrote:

I should make up some business cards and get them to you and then when you run into a customer like this you could give them one and tell them to check out the info here.

I have to ask . . . did he already send the money, or is he waiting for them to clear (which we both know they will not)

I put a hold on the money, it will never be available to him. By the time my hold drops, we will have the returned checks.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:10 pm 

received my letter & check today
Check was 4870.22
Company is in Kelowna, BC
Contact is Jones White @ 416-821-5704

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next