ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:05 pm 

I gotten this letter from the UK. Lottery, with the OSA named Greg Martins.
He is suppose to be sending me a check this week for 4000.00 to cover for the insurance on the 2,800,000 I suppose of won. Please let me know what to do 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:11 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Frame the check and show it to all of your friends, but DO NOT CASH IT!

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:42 am 

I would write Void or Something of that nature on it before framing it as well. Put a nice note at the bottom of the check in the frame to indicate its presence in the frame is a reminder of how close you came to being scammed and how important due dilligence in checking things out first is.

Post subject: International Payout Services
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:20 pm 
This scam outfit is still alive and well, using different tactics -

I got a letter yesterday telling me to call a toll-free number to arrange for the delivery of my $1.8 mil from the Australian Powerball.

The letter was sent first class, postmarked in Blaine, Washington. The address inside is:

Midtown 214
583-1733 H. Street, Blaine, WA 98230

I investigated it.

There is an H street in Blaine, but no 214, 583, or 1733 on it.

There are two toll free numbers included:
phone 866-840-3096 for voice
866-331-6026 for fax.

Included with the VERY official looking letter is a green information sheet to be filled out and faxed back to them. It has lines for all personal and banking information to be filled out.

I called the numbers - the voice number gets an answering machine.
The FAX number gets a real live fax machine (bleppety bleepety bloop)

Here is why I am honked:

I called the postmaster, since it is a federal crime to use the mail for this kind of scam -
he could care less. Said to drop it by if I wanted to.

I called the phone company, since the numbers are active at this time, and basically they don't give a flip.

I called the BBB national number. They gave me two numbers at the FTC to call to report it.

I called the FTC numbers and they took all the information, but left me with the impression it was going to be filed in a cabinet somewhere for six months till they got around to it. By then, of course, the numbers will be no longer in service - and these scumburgers will have moved on elsewhere.

Basically, no one seems to give a crap!
If I picked up the phone and called a random number, and made an obscene comment to them, they would have me in jail before sunset. But these guys out stealing money, apparently, do not arouse much interest!

Yeah, DO NOT cash the check - it's fake.

Terry

Post subject: almost scammed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:18 am 

:roll:
ok, so i got one of those things in my email. it looked pretty professional, and since i'm still obviously young and nieve, i thought it was all legite. but as soon as i read it i replied to the contact, and asked them to email me. since then i have done a little research and found that the scam letters are almost identical to the one i recieved. my good instincts finally kicked in and when they replied i sent them a nasty little message stating something along the lines of this:

To whom it may concern,
i do not wish to participate in the uk-lotto. i understand that this is something like chain mail and i would like to be taken off the mailing list. i do not wish to claim any such prizes from this non-accredited organization. Further actions taken to try and contact me will result in legal action taken against this corporation and the persons affiliated with it. i refuse to volunteer my personal information to an identity theft hoax.

thank you.

i dont think they liked what i said, but i reported the letter just the same.
Stupid Uk-lotto.

missy

Post subject: western finance group
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:32 am 

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has been scammed by Simon Van Rossem from the Netherlands

Post subject: Please read
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:23 pm 

These people are unbelievable at the lenghts they are willing to go through. I received quite a few of these emails and they each wanted me to pay about $800.00 to $900.00 for shipping of the winning check. I never sent them anything. I ended up receiving an email about being an Heir to a fortune overseas, usually in the UK or in Nigeria. I have been scammed out of every penny I had. Please watch out for the travellers checks scam. I would hate for anyone else to go through this. I never thought they could come back and bite me in the butt but low and behold they have.

My comforting thought is that I am not alone in the world of being scammed, I have not yet seen any with american express travelors checks but that does not mean they don't exist.

Please be ware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:28 pm 

when and if it comes do not attempt to cash it. it will come up as counterfeit. I have received a check before and it was counterfeit ended up costing my account 20.00 from the bank, the bank also wanted to charge me 99.00 for each week it went unpaid. I did not know that and the bank ended up clearing it up. Do not accept any kind of payment from anyone you do not know for anything. Not unless it is cash. PERIOD. I will only be dealing w/ cash from now because the scam that killed my checking account. I will not be able to have a bank account until the amount is paid off. Not sure when that will be during unemployment. The year started off crappy and is ending that way. GO FIGURE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:41 pm 

Talk to me about the All North American Company. Anyone ever get anything from them. They have told us not to sign anything and have not asked for any personal or bank info. Is this a new type of SCAM?????