ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Another way they are getting info
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:36 pm 

NOW this is scary that the credit bureaus are actually aiding these guys through carelessness. Read this from a posting I saw on another site:

I recently had a call from some scam artists named CAMCO (Captial Acquisition and Management Co) trying to recollect on a debt I settled with another collection agency 9 years ago. I placed a fraud alert on my credit reports for which I was granted a free credit report from Trans Union, Experian, and Equifax. I received my credit report from Trans Union and saw a credit report request from CAMCO. So Trans Union just handed them over my credit report. Listed on all Trans Union credit reports are the FULL account numbers of all of your accounts. At least Experian just displays the first few digits of the account (not the whole thing). So now they have all of my open credit card account numbers thanks to Trans Union. That must be why they only deal with Trans Union (the request was not on my Experian report).

I called Trans Union to complain and they were nasty and unconcerned. It was my problem and not theirs. Nice to have them watching over your financial security.

Greg
Maple Grove, Minnesota
U.S.A.

Post subject: recent story . . . .
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:02 pm 
Site Admin/Co-Founder

Here is a recent article about how one bank sent private data on one customer to another person! It would have been so easy for someone to steal this guys identity because all of the info he needed to do that was on this paperwork.

**the name of the bank has been replaced with XXX because it happens to be the same bank that we used when we got hit by the counterfeit cashier's check scam, and part of our settlement with them requires us to not post their name in a negative way. If there is anyone else on the board that does know this information, please do not post it or I will have to remove it. Thank you.**

Man Finds Another's Private Data in Bank Envelope

Nobody knows more about your financial life than your bank. XXX Bank is trying to figure out how it sent confidential, personal information about one customer to another.

The controversy started when J.R. Griffin opened his monthly bank statement to find a bank application containing a variety of confidential information about somebody he's never met.

The envelope included a Social Security number, driver's license number, and federal Tax ID number. Griffin, who banks at a Plymouth branch of XXX, says he showed this mistake to bank personnel on a half dozen occasions, but says they showed little interest.

"Very cavalier, basically a shrug of the shoulders," Griffin says. "I'd say it's very unprofessional. I'm in business for myself and I know if my personal information was out there like this I'd be very upset."

KARE 11 reporter Bernie Grace made a copy of the confidential bank records and tracked down the person who they belong to.

"My account number, Social Security and drivers license number and my federal I.D. number all on one sheet of paper and it fell in the hands of some stranger. It's appalling," says St. Louis Park Businessman Joe Salato.

Griffin was also surprised the response he received when he asked bank personnel about one of his canceled checks XXX sent to a Waite Park resident.

"Their answer was pretty much 'things like this happen,'" Griffin says. "I'm not very sanguine about this."

"I don't know what to say," Slato says. "I'm kind of speechless, but I will be following up with XXX on this. And possibly an attorney."

And what does XXX have to say about all of this? Corporate Communications Director told us quote 'We don't go on camera with this type of stuff.'"

He went on to say 'We believe it's an entirely isolated case and that we apologize to the individual whose application went out to the wrong person."

And as for how one of Griffin's checks ended up in the hands of a customer from Waite Park, bank officials had no explanation for that.

Slato says he's grateful all of his private information fell into the hands of an honest person.

Share your story with the media and educate others about scams! Details here http://scamvictimsunited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6319
Sign our petition http://www.change.org/actions/view/crea ... s_programs
Follow our blog http://scamvictimsunited.wordpress.com/
Find us on Twitter, Facebook and more http://www.retaggr.com/page/ShawnMosch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:41 pm 

One Thing for all to remember when it comes to your Credit Bureau Reports..... First of all sale of information is how they make their money!!!

Soft Inquiries on your report is a creditor or a collection agency looking for information on your credibility, those reports get sold by the bureaus daily.

When it comes to information being released should all of your open account information be released by the bureau you have a right to fight it!

A woman recently won millions from a suit against one of the bureaus because they refused to take items off her report that belonged to another woman with the same name. It ruined her credibility and she faught back.

The only way Transunion and others will change their ways is if you hit them where it hurts..... Their wallet!