ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Heres A Good One
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:11 pm 

I signed up for a program here in florida to help me get a job in the area, they require training sessions where they pass around a clip board and a three ring binder where all of our names and social security numbers are easily viewable by all in the class. When the instructor leaves the room all these things remain in the room where anyone can thumb through them.

When I refused to put my social security number on the sheets instead writing ' Confidential Information" in the space she got mad at me , tried to make me write it in there. I kindly informed her of Privacy Act portions which I took with me in writing stating it is not legal to publicly display social security numbers of clients. Informed her that if she persisted I would persist to the nearest offices to lodge a formal complaint and gladly get them fined 2500.00 for each and every entry that they display with such information on it.

Hmmm she gave up after that , gee wonder why.

People remember this always, unless they provide you with a paragraph explaining why you must put your social security number on an application or a form, or they intend to store such information for public viewing, you have a right to REFUSE to put it on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:33 pm 
Gold Member

That kind of thing really pisses me off, and I'm glad you handled it the way you did. I work in an industry where we are required by law to obtain the customer's SSN, and people still question us on it. But we are also required by law to have the appropriate safeguards and systems in place to protect all customer information. Overall, I think if we had fewer bozos like the one you encountered collecting information, people would be far less likely to give us a hard time when we ask for information that we actually need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:36 pm 

I fully agree, they are angry that I refuse to put my SS # on anything that is in the public view but in reciting the laws they also know I am within my rights. I told them IF I see that they put it on there I will immediately tear the pages out and turn it over to the govt. They will get chgd 2500.00 per person per sheet that they find this information displayed.