ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beware: Myspace identity theft and phishing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:24 am 

I was just checking my account hours ago, when i couldn't log in again when i try to get back to my profile. of course, then i used the forget password so i'll receive an e-mail about it.

i was so shocked when i just discovered that it was changed! i really don't know how the hell it happened, but it scared my wits out of me cause it feels like i have been a victim of fraud or identity theft or whatever.

i tried to search for more cases about it or read some info about it, and true enough, it is one of the most disgusting methods used by greedy business maniacs out there. "In an attempt to correct this problem, many people have reverted to changing their password when they notice someone else using their MySpace account. Unfortunately, there have been reports that this type of problem continues even after they have changed their password. One reason for this could be that your password hint is fairly easy to guess. In other cases, the problem could be continuing due to the perpetrator having access to your e-mail account. As a result they naturally receive your new password each time you change it. Therefore, changing your password isn’t locking them out of your account at all. One way to address this is to make sure that you never have the same password for your e-mail address and MySpace account. Make sure they are completely different." (Identity Theft and Myspace Phishing).

However, if you read the whole document, it suggests using Roboform, which i believe isn't good, since it stores passwords, right? The more your account becomes accessible.

So, guys, be wary of people lurking in Myspace. It has become so huge that you don't know the people you're bumping into.