ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP ME!!!
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:24 am 

Well, back around April 4, 2006, I was contacted by a David Wallsh from a Healthcare International company based out in London. I was contacted because I had posted my resume on Careerbuilder.com and became interested in some work from home opportunities. To make a very long story short, the job entitled having this man wire money into my bank account, and then I would withdraw it, keep between 5%-15% for myself, then wire the balance back overseas to one of their customers. It seemed legit to me (which was idiotic of me), so I decided to fill out the little application he sent me VIA email. He said that he would love to offer me this position and that he would just need my bank account information so he could direct deposit the money. After giving him that, I started to do some research and found out this was an ongoing scam and that once I withdraw the money and send it over, my bank will realize this direct deposit was BAD and then I would have a negative balance in my account. I checked my statement online and saw a $7,400 check in there. I started to freak and I kept delaying this man by telling him I would be down to the bank as soon as I can but the money will be on its way. (which i never intended it to be) The bank at least settled this situation with me, and I'm fine in that area money wise. No negative balances, or wierd charges. BUT, here comes my newest problem. Maybe after a week of delaying him, he wrote me an email stating he has found out my social security number and actually wrote the number in the email. I then have stopped contacting him. He must've called my phone like 3-5 times but I didn't answer. Now I filed an initial fraud alert onto my credit report and have filed complaints online. My local police department said since there's no identity theft yet theres' nothing they can do. I have no clue what else to do. I'm monitoring credit cards, and everything else. When do you think I would catch any activity of identity theft?? Could it be 10 years from now that I see someone's actually started to use my SSN??? Just would like some more DEFINITE information to my questions because most of these websites that I am finding have no intelligent information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:51 pm 

You did the right thing by filing a fraud alert with the credit reporting agencies. The best thing you can do now is just keep an eye on things. Chances of someone with a stolen ssn waiting ten years to use it would be extremely thin. Continue to keep an eye on your credit report and immediately report anything usual.

Last edited by ximora on Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:13 am 

thanks so much .. i'm just wondering about the whole time frame of when identity theft occurs?? at least i know 10 years down the road i won't have to worry so much

Post subject: I am sorry about your misfortune
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:39 pm 

I am sorry about your misfortune.
If you or some one you know has been an victim of identity theft go to
http://www.recoveringfromidtheft.com
for some free helpful information on how you can protect your self and stop identity theft fraud.

Thanks
Matt