ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Well It Finally Happened to Me - Stolen Check
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:47 pm 

On 10/04/05 I was notified by the Richardson, TX police department that someone was writing fake checks from my checking account. After the initial shock, I looked through my records and found that my Homeowner's Insurance payment never made it to Allstate, so I'm thinking that someone got it from the U.S. Mail (anyone had that happen?), else at Allstate (less likely, I think, they would have let the check go through).

Anyhow, someone got my checking account and routing numbers and have been printing checks with Wilma as a first name (my name's William), my last name, and my address. My bank has been very good to work with on this, but I've still got to go through the hassle (and I know I've gotten off easy compared to others).

I have always been very conscientious (mailing at the post office only, never giving out info, etc.), but it still happened. Bottom line (and the police told me as much), no matter how careful you are, we're all vulnerable.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:36 am 

I have seen this scam many times in my industry. One step I plan to take with my next check order to minimize possible identity theft or check fraud is to only have my first initial and last name and address on my checks. NO FIRST NAME, NO DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER, AND NO PHONE NUMBER. I know there is nothing anyone can do to guarantee safety, but I hope this will be the right start, giving potential theives very limited information to use. Surprisingly, I still come across customer's checks that have a SSN printed on the front and I can't believe it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:59 am 
robby wrote:
I have seen this scam many times in my industry. One step I plan to take with my next check order to minimize possible identity theft or check fraud is to only have my first initial and last name and address on my checks. NO FIRST NAME, NO DRIVERS LICENSE NUMBER, AND NO PHONE NUMBER. I know there is nothing anyone can do to guarantee safety, but I hope this will be the right start, giving potential theives very limited information to use. Surprisingly, I still come across customer's checks that have a SSN printed on the front and I can't believe it.

I still see people with DL# and SS#, people are trying to give their identities away :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:08 pm 

The problem comes within some states as well in either demanding that a consumer use the SSN as the DL# or giving that option which leads to people not thinking on logical protective terms and throws the mindset into the yeah that would be easier than to remember my DL #.

Really folks, how many times do we have to write our DL number down from memory? The risks far outweigh the benefits in situations like this and it is about time that States forbid the use of the SSN in the printing world on the face of checks and also for use with Identification like DL or State ID cards.

Post subject: Stolen Check Order
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:09 pm 

I placed a check order , which was stolen enroute and then used in some Florida Walmarts. Walmart 's corporate policy is to NOT check ID's for ANY amount IF Telechek approves them. I am not the only Clarke American Check Co customer that this happened to there has been at least 10 people in my town to whom this happened . All the checks were used at the same Walmarts. My suggestion is to check your checking account often . If you order checks , stay on top of when they should arrive. If you are a victim. Not only file a police report , contact Telechek to notify them they need to put a fraud alert on your account. You will also need to put a fraud alert on your credit with the 3 Credit Bureaus. Hopefully that will slow they theives down from obtaining credit in your name. I also contacted the Postal Inspector, and the Federal Trade Commission.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I am not sure how many checks they wrote on the other people's account but after I contacted Telechek , there were no more checks accepted on my account. They did write 6 checks totaling over $8600 but since I caught the 1st check coming through the day it happened.I never had any of my checks bounce and cause additional issues.

Post subject: Re: Stolen Check Order
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:05 pm 
Gold Member

IDvictim wrote:
I placed a check order , which was stolen enroute and then used in some Florida Walmarts. Walmart 's corporate policy is to NOT check ID's for ANY amount IF Telechek approves them. I am not the only Clarke American Check Co customer that this happened to there has been at least 10 people in my town to whom this happened . All the checks were used at the same Walmarts. My suggestion is to check your checking account often . If you order checks , stay on top of when they should arrive. If you are a victim. Not only file a police report , contact Telechek to notify them they need to put a fraud alert on your account. You will also need to put a fraud alert on your credit with the 3 Credit Bureaus. Hopefully that will slow they theives down from obtaining credit in your name. I also contacted the Postal Inspector, and the Federal Trade Commission.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I am not sure how many checks they wrote on the other people's account but after I contacted Telechek , there were no more checks accepted on my account. They did write 6 checks totaling over $8600 but since I caught the 1st check coming through the day it happened.I never had any of my checks bounce and cause additional issues.

Where are you located, away from Florida? I would suggest you contact the USPS Inspectors, you have some mail thieves in your area.

Post subject: Re:Stolen Check Order
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:51 pm 

I am in Texas. The checks were either mailed from Des Moines, IA or Phoenix, AZ . They never made it to Texas. Yes, the police here and in Florida and the Postal inspectors are investigating.

Post subject: Re:Stolen Check Order
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:54 am 
Gold Member

IDvictim wrote:
I am in Texas. The checks were either mailed from Des Moines, IA or Phoenix, AZ . They never made it to Texas. Yes, the police here and in Florida and the Postal inspectors are investigating.

Not from The RGV?