ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: counterfeit Bank One check
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:03 pm 

My husband and I received a letter from a place called Word Management Payment Systems Inc. They stated that we had won $80,000 in a contest from 2003. I discarded the letter knowing there was no way we had won that much money. Well, about a week later we received another letter from them along with a check for $3500. I examined the check very closely and it appearred to be real. The check was from Bank One, there was water marks, the fibers in the paper were there, I could find absolutely nothing wrong with the check at all. There was a phone number to Chase Manhattan Bank below the signature that we did call to verify funds and of course the lady who answered at the "bank" verified everything. Well, luckily I have a negative attitude and just knew if it sounds to good to be true it generally is. After spending half the day on the phone, and getting no results, I called our local Bank One branch and asked if they would look at the check to see if they thought it was real. After 20 minutes at the bank I was told it was not real and it had to be confiscated. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of this company or if there was any other info. out there anyone could share?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:30 pm 

Here is the short and skinny of things, these scammers through various methods gain banking information that can be used on counterfeit checks. Of course the bank verified the funds when you called them, as they had no idea that the check was not written out to you. Same thing happened to me. You did the absolute right thing taking it to the bank it was drawn on and asking if they could verify that the check was real.

Here is what I would suggest that you do. Bag all evidence, like the letters that came, envelopes etc and tell the bank that you have bagged the evidence of how that check came to you, ask if they want that evidence or if you should give it to the police instead. Tell them that you received the check in the mail , had no idea it was coming and welcome cooperating in any investigation that the bank does internally on this.

Let them know that you are communicating with Fraud Victim Advocates who are helping you to sort all of this out.

Post subject: Bank Telephone Numbers - NOT on Check Normally!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:39 pm 

Recently, I was the victim of a counterfeit check. The Branch Manager looked at the image and immediately noticed that the check had a telephone number printed on it. She said that banks do not include their telephone number. In this case, the number shown was part of the scam. If you dialed the number, you would actually be reaching the criminals and originators of the scam. They would say that the check was good - fooling other banks and/or the victim.

Post subject: I know the deal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:51 pm 

I had been on a site to beg for money and I got a response from a guy he said he would send $20,000.00 out and I was to keep 3,000. and send 16,000 to someone in kuwait. I had been on this site looking up a name and I came across the fraud stuff and looked at scammers and happily I was aware it was going to be fake but I continued with contact from this person. I finally got the check and called to the bank in San Fransico to verify if it was good or a conterfit, I had all hope it was good the conterfit was for 23,000 and before he send this he wanted me to send 1 thousand something but I told him I couldn't but on getting the check I could reinburst him he agreed. NOw knowing all I know and emailing this person I was just waiting now for it to come in as it did and as I said I called the bank they said it was not good now I called our local county cops and they said since I didn't cash it no crime has been commited now even innocents go to jail KEEP THIS IN MIND, So they said to go to the bank and hand it in my idea was to get this and let the bank see it and be able to help someone else that doesn't know that it is conterfit this is why I let it come to me I gave them the evelope it came in and it had my address and the person who sent it but I said the name and address is most likely bogus but that was ok. NEVER EVER EVER GIVE ACCOUNT NUMBERS OUT, NEVER SEND MONEY, nEVER GIVE YOUR sOCIAL SECURITY OUT NEVE SEND A PICTURE OF YOUR DRIVER'S LICINSEOR PASSPROT PHOTO TO ANYONE. I was lucky I didn't have anything befall me I thought it was really gonna happen. All they got was my name address and that was it. but as you talk ( email) with these people they will show thier real colour and they will hang themselfs. I have many lotto winnings emails and people wanting to use me as a benificiary and all sorts of things but most times I tell them to send a check and I will help I am not sending money, I am not sending a phone or a picture ID of any kind I am able to help IF they send the check they never email me again m..... I wonder why??? did I say something wrong??

IF in doubt email me and I will help if I can

devilsfreedom@yahoo.com

Mercy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:26 pm 

Technically if you signed for the document from the carrier you indirectly committed a crime by signing for and receiving counterfeit instrument. BUT the police are mainly worried about if you tried to cash it or not, which you didnt which saved you from a charge of utterance of a forged or altered instrument or worse Grand Theft.

Post subject: I see
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:39 am 
NOw see I didn't SIGN FOR THIS ir came in the mail as any other letter would but you are correct I had the feeling it was indeed conterfit but I was hoping. I called the law because I felt it should be called no matter what may of happened to me. But I hope I have helped someone else out there and IF they go to this one bank the tellers will know it is not a good check. I never thought of signing anything for it but I bet you are right on this. I would be commiting a crime knowing full well it was going to be counterfit. And if I tried to cash it YEah I be in the deep stuff. Thanks for reply jmosch0410 feel free to always reply to me.

Mercy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:18 pm 

Well, we are still waiting to hear what is going to happen now. I did not sign the check or anything, I just had that gut feeling there was somthing wrong. I really hope these people are caught and stopped! I told the lady at the bank I would do whatever I could to help. She did not take the letters from me but I do have them put up hopefully the fraud dept. will contact me soon for them. I just wonder how many trusting people out there were hurt because of this.I have posted about this company everywhere I knew to post at, a friend recommended this site, and I have searched all over the internet and still cant find anything at all about anything to do with them. According to the letter they are in Nova Scotia.
Im just glad we made it clear to the bank that we didnt feel right about the check since we never enter sweepstakes and just found it hard to believe someone would just mail a check like this. Not certified mail where you would need to sign or anything.
My mom always told me I should trust people more and try to be more positive.....A negative additude will get you no where......I keep thinking, Gee Mom ....looks like my negative attitude saved my butt..LOL!