ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: narrowly escaped escrow on ebay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:37 am 

Selling laptop on eBay. Almost fell right into a sophisticated escrow scam. Had faked escrow-site, pop-ups, address etc. etc.

All could be traced to aaaq.com, which seems pretty evil.

I got my laptop back minutes after I had sent it but now am worried about identity theft. This guy knew my name and personal email--- and I had used a password for the escrow service that I've used for other things (luckily not paypal or bank).

What's your feeling? Will it take too much time for them to use my info? Their scam was so good that I think about 95 people/ hundred fall for it.

Thanks!

ps. I've already taken precautions, changed passwords, called bank etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:47 am 

Hi Tina,
Do they have your social security number? I think t at if you have changed your passwords and stuff there isn't a whole lot they can do with your name, but if they have your social security number- report it to Experian 1-888-397-3742 ASAP, this is one of the 3 major credit reporting agencies and they will notfiy the other 2 if you think they may use your ss#. They put a 90-day "watch period" on your ss# and if anyone tries to use it they notify you.
Now if they don't have your ss# or personal credit card numbers, etc. I don't think there is any need to worry, they are probably fishing for someone else to scam....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:59 pm 

Actually you can ask for an Extended Fraud Flag that will get you a 7 yr flag and whenever your report changes you are notified by each bureau. And the extended flag gets you 2 FREE reports a year from each bureau.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:01 am 

My son recently got ripped by someone who sent him an email with an ebay logo on it, asking to verify account log in info, a week later his bank account was wiped out. TG the kid only had 160.00 in the account and Suntrust noticed the scam right away by the people making the charges. He got his money back and just got his clearance letter that the re credit is final.

They dont have to ask for your CC info etc all they need is your login to get into your personal infor and get whatever they want. If they got into your account they have your information, whatever is in your account details section, including your cc info.