There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fake shipping company as mediator between buzer and seller
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:28 pm 

Hi all,

I would like your advice on a possible (non ebay) purchase/ scam.The seller suggest shipping the product (worth 1000 euros) from the uk to denmark, using a shipping company that acts as a mediator between buyer and seller. After reading about esccow scams, i'm really concerned that i could be the victim of a scam and would like your opinion/ advice.

Is there a legit escrow site, that offers true buyer/seller protection for private online purchases?
I suggested using paypal, but the seller argued that since he is paying the shippment, he wants to choose the shipping company, which sounds a bit strange.

He wants to send me the details for the transaction tomorrow. what should i watch out for?
I read already tips, but i don't wanna take any chances. Since i never did private online purchases before, i' d be thankful for all your advice.

I tried to locate the Uk based seller via the adress he gave me, but didn't succeed.

Since the product is a vintage electronic instrument, i found it strange that the buyer offers a 10 day inspection period + offered to pay shipment back and refund, should i'd be not satisfied. The product is also half price compared to other ebay auctions for such a collectors item. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't, right? :D

I'll update the post with more infos as i get them.

If you have usefull links regarding "fake shipping companies as mediators between buyer and seller" , i'd be grateful for all advice and resources.

Big kudos for the makers of this site for all the great infos and their effort in educating us about online fraud and scam schemes.

With best regards from denmark,

Mike

Post subject: Re: Fake shipping company as mediator between buzer and sell
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 am 

It's a scam.

Somewhere along the line you are asked to handle the money and take care of some kind of payment. That is where you will lose your money.
Shipping companies do not mediate. They ship. He is choosing the shipping company, cause that is him using another mail address and pretending to be a shipping company.