Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fake E*TRADE FINANCIAL Scam email
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:22 pm 

This is a scam for at least 3 reasons:
1.) I do not have an E*TRADE account.
2.) I am addressed as "cardholder" (they don't know my name until I respond).
3.) "Please use our link below to proceed." Self-Explanatory!

I don't know where they got my email address from, but any attempts to find out would provide them with information they could use in their next scam.

Using randomly addressed emails assures the scammer that some of the receivers will be E*TRADE customers that might use the supplied link to reply.
If you are an E*TRADE customer and receive one of these emails, report it to E*TRADE using an email address previously provided on your E*TRADE card or your monthly statement.

I find it strange that this SCARE-TACTIC scam is still in use. Apparently, it occasionally works.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear E*TRADE cardholder,

Continuous Monitoring is an integral part of E*TRADE Financial Corp's multiple layers of security. In addition to other fraud monitoring tools, we can often spot fraud based upon transactions on the card that are outside of cardholder's typical purchasing pattern. This allows us to spot fraudulent activity as quickly as possible and acts as an early-warning system to identify and prevent fraudulent activity.

During a recent checkout we detected suspicious activity and your card may have been compromised. Suspecting fraudulent activity made it necessary to limit the card for online services until additional security measures can be completed. Conform to our security requirements and in order to continue using our online services with the card, we must validate the cardholder's identity. Please use our link below to proceed.

https://us.etrade.com/e/t/user/login

E*TRADE Financial takes online security very seriously so that you can shop safely on the Internet. As part of our commitment to fighting fraud we have the right to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or violations of the terms and conditions for using E*TRADE Financial U.S.A. Do not reply to this email, this mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.

© 2007 E*TRADE FINANCIAL Corp. All rights reserved.

This email was sent to: potentialsucker@isp.net