ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Been scammed through e-bay/cargus-speditions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:46 pm 

Too good to be true is the only thing true about this one...

I found an e-bay auction for some electronics. Being the first time I use any auction site, and the first time buying anything from abroad, I took the bait, hook, sinker, line, fishing rod...

I got in contact with the seller (Manuel MG mang.071@hotmail.com) and agreed on using his cargo and escrow site (http://www.cargus-speditions.com), however being currently residing in Turkey and not wanting to have to go to another city just to pick up the items I had them delivered to (and paid for by) a friend in the U.S., as the items were supposedly shipped from Italy.

Unfortunately, the cargo didn't deliver because my friend hadn't authorized her bank to make the payments from her credit card. So she authorized the payment (damn Moneygram) and now that the funds are transferred, we were waiting for the items to ship. I knew something was fishy when the seller and the cargo company halted all communication, and thats when I found out about all this scamming. The cargus site was added to another website's fraud database 3 days ago, but I found it today.

It has nearly been 24 hours since the funds have been transferred, but the cargus site is still up, which gives me hope that the funds have not been withdrawn yet. I have notified my friend in the U.S. who made the payment for me, and she will call her bank tomorrow morning to see if the money has transferred from her cards and stop it if it hasn't (not likely). She is visiting me on the 16th, therefore I don't know if she will have the time to go through all the hoops to take legal action on time.

Is there anything we can do yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:57 am 
Gold Member

You mentioned cards, do you mean credit cards? If so if the money has been transfered then have her contact the credit card company and dispute the charges. Chances are she will get her money back on that. If it is a debit card I think she can dispute those with the bank but that takes longer and I do not know how that works on getting the money back.

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:26 am 

I think my friend is currently negotiating with her bank to see if she can get the money back. The payment was made through her credit card, but because we thought the shipping company was waiting for the payment to be made to the escrow service before they door-delivered the items, she authorized the payment so I don't know how that will play out...

I don't think the italian police (if that's where they really are) can do much, as I haven't been able to find an english speaking contact through their website.

Post subject: Re: Thank you
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:51 am 
Gold Member

quantum wrote:
I think my friend is currently negotiating with her bank to see if she can get the money back. The payment was made through her credit card, but because we thought the shipping company was waiting for the payment to be made to the escrow service before they door-delivered the items, she authorized the payment so I don't know how that will play out...

I don't think the italian police (if that's where they really are) can do much, as I haven't been able to find an english speaking contact through their website.

She can still dispute the charges. Have her say she did not receive the services she paid for. Then it is up to the shipping company to prove they actually shipped the merchandise to your friend and that it was delivered to the same address as her billing address. If they can not prove that the credit card company will refund her money.

Post subject: Hooray!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:11 pm 

I've recently been told we got all the money back. The weight lifted off me makes me feel like I'm flying. Apparently the Moneygram funds weren't withdrawn yet, so we got them back, and as the installment was 2 payments, considering the second one never went through is probably why I'm so lucky.

Post subject: Re: Hooray!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:16 pm 
Gold Member

quantum wrote:
I've recently been told we got all the money back. The weight lifted off me makes me feel like I'm flying. Apparently the Moneygram funds weren't withdrawn yet, so we got them back, and as the installment was 2 payments, considering the second one never went through is probably why I'm so lucky.

That's great news. I am glad your friend got all of her money back. There is rarely good news like this when it comes to fraud. Take a big sigh of relief and thank the good lord for watching out for you. I'm glad everything worked out for you.