Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: www.gpscourier.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:21 pm 

i found a good deal on a bike. below is the latest message

Hello Again ,
Total price is 3500 USD with shipping included.
The shipping will be done through http://www.gpscourier.co.uk ocean freight on my charge,the best shipping service in United Kingdom. The motorcycle will arrive in 7-14 days at your front door. I will provide you a tracking # of the shipment and after i will send you tracking number you will have 12 h for pay me at western union on my address .You know as if you have tracking number you will receive the bike at your door 100 % and you can check tracking number at company any time, on the company web site at "Track A Package" section.

I will explain to you step by step how this will work.
1. you send me your full address and your name where you want the motorcycle to be delivered .
2. i will ship the bike with http://www.gpscourier.co.uk .
3. After i ship i will send you tracking number for your bike.
4.You will check the tracking number at company website.
5. If is ok you have to pay me via western union on my address a deposit of $2000.
6. After you will make the payment at western union on my name and address you will have to e-mail the details to me.

now. how does this look to you guys? is gpscourier.co.uk a real courier site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:27 pm 

Quote:
If is ok you have to pay me via western union on my address a deposit of $2000.

Big "red flag" right there, I wouldn't go any futther.

Post subject: Reply to Bike Scam - Buyer Be Ware!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:39 pm 

Hello friend,

I came across the same posting in the Ontario (Canada) Boat and Bike Trader. I received the exact same instructions from a "Paul Calta" in the UK. He supposedly shipped the bike with the agreement that we wire $2000 Cdn upon receiving his "tracking" number for Global PS Express. We checked the website and proceeded to wire the agreed upon funds. Luckily for us - he did not go into a Western Union in the UK, but instead proceeded to check the Western Union website 53 times. Western Union, in the meantime, was made aware of his tracking online and froze the funds. We rec'd repeated calls from him indicating that the MTCN (money transfer tracking no.) was invalid and that we had to send him a copy of the Western Union form. I then called Western Union directly and that was when I was informed by the FRAUD department that there was a 99% likelyhood that this was a fraud.

We have since recouped our funds...who knows...there are still about 4 days left to see if the bike shows up on our doorstep. I have emailed Paul to let him know what has happened with the money transfer and that if the bike does show up on our doorstep we will be more than glad to send him the full price of the bike - with the exception that he sets up a Paypal account so that the funds can be held in escrow. FYI - now that he has been flagged by Western Union, no WU in north america will send funds in his name.

If the bike doesn't show up by July 27th my next call will be to the RCMP who will then turn it over to UK authorities. I will also proceed in filing a report with Phone Busters...suggest you do the same.

Post subject: scammed on the bike
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:26 pm 

I was taken with this gentlemen. As stupid as it sounded I went ahead and wired him the 3000.00 and now the website of gpscourier.co.uk is no longer valid and nor is the email address of luagereder@aim.com. So Please anyone who has info on this to please email me with the info at colungamom@aol.com. By the way he stated his name was Kevin Seas and his address is 122A The Broadway London United Kingdom sw191rh. Please any who has info on this please help me

Post subject: BIKE BUYER BEWARE!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:57 pm 

Hello All - specifically colungamom - I have just spoken to the Kensington Police Station in London (Tel no. 011-44-207-376-1212 - Case Ref. Number 1023228July2006). I spoke with Elizabeth who took down all of the information I have on these thieves - specifically "Paul Calta" who provided 122A The Broadway, London, United Kingdown, SW19 1RH as an address.

She instructed me to visit my local police station and file a detailed report - be sure to bring with you ALL of your supporting documentation. Ask the officer who files the report to send it to InterPol (International Police) - be sure to get the report number once you are done filing. Ask the filing officer to forward a copy to the Wimbledon Police Station (they can reference my case number above).

Let's do everything we can to not only stop these bastards but to put them behind bars too!

Post subject: gpscourier.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:50 am 

The identities that the scammers used are fabricated or stolen from others.
The scammers use fake identification so they will be difficult to catch.
The site was run from Romania.

Information concerning the site you were ripped off on was sent to:
info@phonebusters.com
Authorities in the UK at SOCA / International Crime
The US Secret Service
on:
Friday, July 21, 2006 8:13 PM
Titled:
US and Canadian victims of gpscourier.co.uk reference IP35/2006-451797 and Borg ref: 2E/228262/06

It would be VERY interesting indeed if transfers were made subsequent to the date you reported this to Western Union.
You may be interested to know that in the USA, Western Union is obligated to inform its customers that their services are known to be used in connection with fraud transactions on the internet.
Western Union was successfully sued by 47 states in the USA:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/2005/n ... 4a_05.html
Perhaps your legislature can do the same thing.....
:wink:

:idea:
Always remember that nothing can be done without these sites being brought to other people's attention.
Keep an eye out for them and post on message boards.
:idea: