ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: is this a scam ? Please advise
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:04 pm 

i was contacted today on icq, by a girl named Rachel that she claims to work for Moneygram and wants me to be a representative of their company. What i need to do is receive in my account wire transfers and the cash this money at my bank and deposit it at another bank to koneygrams accounts, and western union accounts at the local post office.
She claims to offer me 100 euros for each transfer and after 5 inital transfers she claims to offer 3.5 % on each transfer.
Transfers go between 5000 and 20000 euros.
She sent me a contract.
She has my name, address, my account number ( only valid for internal bank transfers - she stated that the money woulb be transfered from an account at the same bank ) , and i did signed a contract and sent her a scan of my signature.
She has no passwords whatsoever, just this.

Any of you guys no of such a thing ?
Is this one more Scheme/Scam or what ?
She cant do anything with my data has she needs the passwords to access my account, i supose....
I allready reported this to moneygram fraud department asking for advise, as she claimed to work there...
Any info on this would be appreciated.
Thank you all-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:12 pm 

can we say MONEY LAUNDERING big time. BIG TIME illegal and guess who will be left holding the bag and possibly charged with crimes? YOU if you choose to take part in this scheme.

Can we say ID THEFT! You need to close that account immediately!!! or they will bleed it dry.

You need to go to fraudaid.com to the section for identity theft where it says ID Theft what to do now and follow those instructions to the tee.

You need to scan your system with the following programs right away:

Anti Virus Scan
Trojan Detector
Adware Detection
Anti Spyware Detection
and put up a firewall now

Post subject: Yes, Hijacker, this is a Romanian scam
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:28 pm 

Dear Hijacker -

Work-at-Home Check Processing Business Fraud is financially and legally deadly. This scam originated in the Former Soviet Union countries (FSU) and has been picked up by both Asian and Nigerian scammers. Please go HERE:
http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Nigerian/check_processing_scam.htm

Your computer is your most vulnerable point, but it is also your strongest defense. I created the following today:

If you are opening scam letters, and we all do at one time or another, you are at high risk of Identity Theft. Avoiding the risk is not all that difficult.

Here's what you need to do:
Set your anti-virus on deep clean and run it. Do this frequently. Do not wait for your scheduled maintenance* or change your scheduled maintenance to suit your surfing and online habits. HINT: Keep as many [swept] files as you can on separate disc or CD. This cuts down the amount of time it takes for your malware programs to run through all your computer files.

Set your anti-spyware on deep clean and run it. Schedule same as above.

Run your Registry cleaner.

Run your Internet tracks eraser.

Before opening email: Check for malware updates**

After surfing: run your Internet tracks eraser.

Never surf into your bank account. Close all windows. Check for malware updates. Open new window, go do your banking.

Don't surf into your shopping cart. Make your selections, close all windows, check for malware updates, open new window and go to your cart.

Read the Free Reports here: http://www.fraudaid.com/security_products/articles_information/index.htm

Click on over to http://www.freecreditreport.com and order your credit reports. Call them up every 6 months for next 2 years, annually after that.

Fraud safe your personal community by passing on what you learn at Fraud-Aid. This cuts down on the number of available targets for scammers. Remember our slogan: Silence is fraud's greatest ally. Word-of-mouth is fraud's greatest enemy. Pass the word!

No need to fraud flag anything unless you find evidence of unauthorized activity on your credit reports. The information you provided is just telephone book info. Your computer is your most powerful defense against Identity Theft, but it is also your most vulnerable spot. Follow the instructions above and you'll be just fine.

* Scheduled maintenance:
Click on Start in bottom left hand corner of your computer window.
Click on Control Panel
Click on Scheduled Tasks
Click on Add Scheduled Task and follow the Wizard
Schedule the following:

a. Disk cleanup
b. Defrag
c. Anti-virus
d. Anti-spyware
e. Registry cleaner / maintenance

Other ways to access your Control Panel:
Start > mouse-over or click on My Computer > Scheduled Tasks
Desktop > My Computer (upper left hand corner is default location) > Scheduled Tasks
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks

** Malware Updates
The techies at the company that developed whatever anti-spyware and anti-virus programs you are running can only react to malware AFTER it has hit the Internet.

First they must be made aware of the new (zero hour) malware, then create the prevention, and then send you the update. This doesn't help you if you are one of the first people to encounter a zero hour virus or worm.

Damage can be minimized if you have your anti-malware programs set on automatic update; however, even with auto-update you'll find that the update may not have installed yet at the exact time you have chosen to surf or open your email.

That's why it's always an excellent habit to click on your update icons just before surfing or opening anything.

It's just another daily safety habit, like making sure the stove is turned off before leaving the house, or checking the rearview mirror before backing the car up. After a while, you won't think twice about doing it.

Fraud Chaser

http://www.fraudaid.org