ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think it's a SCAMMER. What do I do now?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:23 am 

I have a car for sale, and the following are e-mails I've received from a guy I thought was a real prospect, but I have a feeling he's not.

Hello,
> I am a private auto dealer, we deal in all kinds of
> automobiles, motorhomes, RV, bikes & equipments. I
> have a client who is interested in your vehicle.
>
> Pls we will like you to get back to us with the
> following questions; your final bottom price,
> vehicle pics, if you have a clear title and when the
> ad was posted, reason for selling the property and
> also state the present condition of the property at
> the moment. Pls get back to me asap if it is still
> available with the above questions.
>
> Thank you and best regards,
>
> Ben.

I sent pictures and gave more details, etc.....and this is the response:

Hello Kelly,
How are you today. My client was delighted with the vehicle condition . He has approved your offer. Payment will be made with a certified cashiers check of $24,000 which was a refund payment for a cancelled order earlier made by my client who am acting as the buyer on his behalf because he is presently out of town for a business trip. the total amount on the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase and all the haullage expenses.

All you need do is to deduct the cost $18,500 and send the balance of $5,500 to my
client Agent to enable him offset the pick up charges and also secure a shipper alongside other goods he has bought.

Once this is affected, my clients agent will be there to pick up and also handle the shipping arrangements. he will also handle all documentations on behalf of my client. if you do approve of this payment arrangement, do let me know and provide me with your full NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER for the check to be delivered to you. Do reply asap and have a wonderful day
Ben.

Yikes - I thought I've heard of this before on the news. He didn't counter offer or anything. Granted, the car is brand new (I won it as a sales incentive) and flawless. So I replied that I do not feel comfortable with an overage, and the check would need to take 2 weeks or so to clear the bank before I would agree to the pickup or send him money. I would prefer cash. Here is the latest response:
Of course the check will clear bank before you send the difference to the agent. Like i said my client is out of town and the total money on check is for the agent to offset the pick up charges.
Please back soonest with the information needed.
Ben.

I don't know how to respond to the guy that I don't believe he is legitimate. Or could I be wrong? Do I just ignore him and NOT respond? The way his e-mails are worded, I get the impression he is foreign. I'm pretty sure I should end this communication with him, but do I tell him I believe he's a scammer or just make up an excuse??? I don't know. Sorry for the extremely long post. I just want to make sure I do what's right and thought members of this site could help me. Thank you for your time!

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:42 am 

SCAM, Never ever deduct the amount and send the balance to someone you do not know- NEVER, email him back and tell him you sold it locally for cash, he will bug off....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:56 am 
Tell him you do not accept over payments - what ever money he sends you, you will keep all of it. Remember - you are selling the car, he is buying - the buyer sends money to the seller, not the other way around.
He must deal with his shipper/hauler directly, you cannot assist in this area. As the previous poster stated, you can also tell him you've sold the car for cash locally, and you no longer have the vehicle. Under no circumstances give him your address. If you have done, and a check arrives, under no circumstances attempt to cash it, or pay it into your bank account - you are liable to be arrested and thown into jail if you do so.