There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to go from here...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:41 pm 
So here is my story:

I am a musician and am (still) trying to sell a bow. I recieved a message from someone on the classified page asking if my bow was available. I responded via e-mail that it was available and that, if they were going to be in the area, they could stop by my apartment to do the transaction. I recieved an e-mail the day after they were supposed to stop by my apartment saying that they had to leave the country unexpectedly and would be mailing me a package from france containing my check along with a few letters to drop in the mail for family and friends in the states. So, the next monday came along and the package came, addressed from Paris. I dropped the letters in the box like I said I would and when I returned I looked at the cashier's check that was written for 2,900 USD. I was only asking 800 for the bow so I e-mailed asking what was going on. She replied saying that the remainder was supposed to be sent via western union to an orphanage in Africa and that it had to be done "within the next 14 hours" or she could lose her job. So I know that this is extremely fishy. I emailed her back saying that the only way I could separate the money was to process it through my own bank and that I was unwilling to do that. I offered to express mail the check back to her if she wanted.

So, here I am. I have the check sitting on my desk. I no longer have the envolope or package that it arrived in. I need to know what happens now. Could I possibly be held liable for what has happened to me thus far? The check is still in my posession. Help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:29 am 
Not that I know everything....but.....call the bank the check was drawn on and I think they will tell you its not good. Thats what I did. The banker asked me to mail the check to her and then to stop all correspondence with the scammers. Just stop. She said to keep the emails just in case there is an investigation (there probably won't be) and just be glad you didn't lose out. That's what I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:24 pm 

fiscem4-
Don't worry, just don't try to cash it at all, it is fake! Fresher is correct- call the originating bank and warn them, then take the check to the secret service, or whatever just DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CASH it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:05 pm 

Listen to fresher and sunray if you attempt to cash that check you could wind up owing a heck of a lot of money to the bank or worse arrested and accused of a crime you didnt commit. Turn it over to the authorities and be done with it.