ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: paid with fake check
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm 

i had my atv for sale on craigslist for 2500 a guy called said he was from md im in va he said he wasnt comfortable carrying cash because he had been robbed and beaten so he would be payin with a certified cashiers check he showed up in a u hual van with another black guy he said was his uncle he handed me the check and i took it in the house for my wife to look at being that i dont deal with checks and stuff like that she looked up the navy federal site and it looked legit so i helped him load it up and he was out well i went to the bank and they said it was fake the phone numbers he called from were apperently from some cell app that changes the numbers to whatever he wanted me to see so i have nothing on this guy except the fact that he lookes like a skinny tall little wayne pretty sure i see my quad in pieces on ebay as i type with nothing i can do.

Post subject: Re: paid with fake check
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:52 pm 

First, I am so sorry this happened to you. Thank you for taking your time to post this. Those who scam come from all walks of life. It almost makes you want to take a picture of anyone you do business with in person.

Media Reporter for ScamVictimsUnited.com

Google is your best online friend. Google everything.
http://www.google.com/

For Romance Love scams
http://romancelovescams.mysubdn.com/forum/index.php

Post subject: Re: paid with fake check
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 pm 

I too am sorry this happened to you... they have become very good at scamming as well as printing fake checks, money orders etc that even the banks sometimes can't tell them apart until they come back bad... as hard as it may be to do so, your best bet is to always deal with cash transactions only... if they say they can't do that then say sorry and wait until someone with cash comes along... it's getting too difficult to tell a good check from a bad one so it's safer to just do business with cash. Do you have any "serial" numbers for the atv? Or even pictures of it? If so file a police report for stolen property, let them know exactly what happened and how (also let them know that these people arrived in a uhaul so they can check with the local uhaul places for rental records)... this is indeed a case of stolen property because of the way it was done... once the report is out there the list will go to pawn shops etc so that if it shows up stolen... you can get it back.