ScamVictimsUnited.com

There is strength in numbers.

Scams in Today's News:

Bookmark and Share
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just info...someone tried to scam me with a survey!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:47 am 

I responded to an ad to take surveys in Houstonbackpage.com which is a free classified ad site. Wouldnt you know it I received 4 MO from fedex in the Amount of $650.00 apiece and who was I supposed to secretly assess? None other than western Union I was to cash the money orders and send some money to someone in denver colorado keep $500.00 and report the service I received. HA! The name used to post the ad was FRANK BRANSON with a bogus address out of Mendham NJ. I wrote the guy back and told him I wasnt going to jail for anyone and he should be ashamed of himself and what a loser he was. These people cant even use english properly which should be most peoples first clue. oh yeah also he has an email address that says survey@marketingalternatives.org so stay at home parents beware. At first I had no clue where these money orders had come from so I called walmart moneygram and the rep told me they were legitamite orders based on the MO Number I provided, but still I did not feel something was right so I went to some financial institutions and they said the system says it is ok but they just dont look right. One guy even said If I had tried to cash them at his office he would hold them and my ID until the police arrived. I hope we can get the word out there so people will stop being victimized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:33 pm 

Same exact thing is happening to me right now. I went on Craigslist.com looking for some focus groups or surveys and I signed up for one. I got a reply from Marketing Alternatives, with the same ploy as you. It seemed very legitamite but there was one thing that caught my suspicion, which was the fact they they spelled one single word wrong. It was just that little thing that set me off to beware. Anyhow, a few weeks later (last week) I got a FedEx package and inside was only 1 thing, an envelope with five $500 money orders. There was no survey or instructions, just the money. I thought this was very odd, so I emailed the person who I was in contact. He told me to cash the money and wire $2000 of it to Natalya Komleva In Denver Colorodo. It seemed that after the initial emails, his messages lost all sense of legitamacy and he was just sending me simple messages after that like: "whats going on with the money orders? keep me posted." Like seriously put a little effort into it, it's just embarrasing. At first I thought this was some sort of money laundering thing, but after a little research, I found out it was this fraud. Anyhow, I'm glad I got into this whole thing, now I have a funny story to tell people and some fake money orders I'm going to frame.

Post subject: marketingalternatives.org
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:12 pm 

I must be getting smarter in my old age. I got an e-mail from Benjamin Gabriel from the UK outlining the same scheme to evaluate western union-moneygram locations. I did a search for web address and found several ads posted in newspapers right at the top of the search list....but no info on company. However, I did find this site. Thank you!!!!!!!